1973 Schwinn World Voyageur




The 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur was a historic moment for Schwinn, it was the first bike that Schwinn manufactured in another country. Handmade in Japan, the frame is 4130 Chrome Molybdenum with Suntour dropouts. A counterpart in quality to the USA built Paramount. The entire frame is Chromed underneath the original paint. The bicycle is equipped with a Shimano Dura-Ace crankset, and derailleurs which would evolve into what is known as Dura-Ace today, the Shimano Crane GS rear derailleur, Shimano Titleist Front derailleur. The bicycle rides on a quick release set of Araya 27"x1-1/4" wheel set. It appears to be completely original with the exception of missing the orange bar tape. The seat tube is approximately 58cm.


Weinnman brakes 


This is the only decal on the bike giving it away as a Schwinn, besides small Schwinn Approved parts.

Schwinn Bikes made over seas began to be given the "World" moniker with this bike to differentiate them
from the similarly USA built Paramount. 

Gran Compe Stem

Schwinn approved bar end thumb shifters






Comments

  1. I rode one of these from Vancouver Island to Vancouver and then cross country to Michigan via Canada. This was 1974. Schwinn had just reduced the price to $225 and I was looking for a touring bike and this was a steal. The only thing it lacked was a triple chainwheel. I did okay anyway. I really liked the end shifters. I had front and rear panniers on it. I made the front rack from surgical tubing. My wife sewed the rear panniers from a kit. Bicycle equipment was much more difficult to find at that time. I sure loved the Canadian Rockies. I gave the bike to my son and he left it once when he moved and that was that. Mine was also orange. I never had a flat on the trip and used the same tires for years afterward. It never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAD A SCHWINN DEALERSHIP for over 20 yrs this Is the only bike I kept for myself.The best bike I ever rode. I still have it but becuse of age I no longer can ride.It is in cream puff condition, and prised very low for the quality it is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I am interested in your World Voyageur. Is it still available? Thank you, Joe (joe_bradley@bearvalleyusd.org

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts